BY MORGAN BOOKHEIMER | Morgan is a regular contributing writer for FreshKids. Morgan is studying to become a Registered Dietitian at Teachers College, Columbia University. She also has her B.S. in Nutritional Sciences from Cornell University. She believes healthy food should be fun, easy and delicious!
As the weather gets cooler, your family might be tempted to spend more quality time inside. While movie and game nights can be cozy, cool weather activities can also be a little inactive. Keep your family moving this fall with these fun, fresh activities to keep you warm until the winter.
1. Visit a trampoline or rock climbing gym – Most have day passes and are sure to be an unforgettable experience for the whole family.
2. Apple Picking – Not only do you get to explore a local orchard, you come home with a haul of crisp apples to eat fresh, bake into a pie, or make into homemade applesauce.
3. Play touch football, whiffle ball, or catch – Fun and simple backyard games get competitive juices flowing and the heart pumping.
4. Go on a family bike ride – Ride your bikes to your favorite restaurant instead of driving, if it’s safe. Or take the bikes to the park and experience nature!
5. Hold a family “Chopped” contest – Choose a judge to decide on a “secret ingredient,” maybe a new fruit or vegetable that the family doesn’t normally eat. Then contestants can shop in the grocery store or just in the pantry to come up with their creative dish.
6. Take an after dinner walk – Walking can be a great bonding activity for the family. People tend to open up and speak more freely when walking, since there isn’t sustained eye contact.
7. Hold a wall sit challenge – Challenge each member of the family to do a wall sit as long as they can! Time it and keep records so you can show improvement over time.
What are your family’s favorite fall activities? Share in the comments!