Schools, Listen Up! Action for Healthy Kids is Offering Grants to Eligible Schools; Apply Now February 6 – April 7
We love sharing good news about healthy schools! And we LOVE sharing ways to help kids get healthy. We’re talking about Action for Healthy Kids because they are all about helping schools get the necessary resources to teach kids about healthy eating and active living!
Thanks to their sponsor partners, Action for Healthy Kids has provided $6.6 million in grants to schools since 2009. “School Grants for Healthy Kids” can help your school health team achieve its goal to make every kid healthy and ready to learn.
Do you know a school that is eager to get HEALTHY? Submit applications between February 6 – April 7, 2017 for a school grant from Action for Healthy Kids. See details on the Action for Healthy Kids website and sign up for their newsletter to stay up to date and find out how schools around the country are putting their grants to work.
School Breakfast Grants
Schools have served more than 44 million new school breakfasts since 2009 thanks to Action for Healthy Kids School Breakfast Grants. Up to 500 schools can receive grant awards ranging from $500 to $3,000 to support increased breakfast participation. Eligible schools may apply to pilot or expand their School Breakfast Programs, including alternative and universal (breakfast at no cost) programming. Funding is available to:
- Schools in all states. Schools must participate in the National School Breakfast Program.
- One school or multiple schools in a district.
- Start up or implementation grants available for equipment needs, up to $3,000.
- Schools already implementing alternative models and breakfast at no charge can apply for a grant ($500 or $1000) for marketing, additional equipment and/or family engagement. Funding will be based on current breakfast participation.
- Take this Eligibility Survey to find out for which grant amount your school will be eligible. This 2-minute survey will help guide you in the application process!
Game On Grants
Action for Healthy Kids will award approximately 600 schools with Game On grants for the 2017-2018 school year. The grants provide funding for physical activity and nutrition initiatives that assist schools to become nationally recognized as health-promoting. Learn what strategies Game On grants fund. K-12 schools in all states are eligible to apply. Newly funded schools will be eligible for a $1,000 grant. Schools funded in previous grant years are eligible for a sustainability grant of $500.
Companies may sponsor Parents for Healthy Kids grants to support the implementation of Game On grants. Programs with a parent engagement component will be given priority, and parent-led groups are encouraged to apply (e.g. PTAs, PTOs and school wellness teams with parent members). If your school is interested, select “Game On grants” on the school grants portal and complete the parent-specific questions to get priority points.
Three Easy Steps to Apply
1. AFHK recommends that you complete the Game On grant paper application or the Breakfast grant paper application with your School Health Team to organize your proposal in a thoughtful manner, check spelling and ensure accurate character count. The application takes less than 60 minutes to complete!
2. Once completed, proceed to the online School Portal to submit your official application. Schools can submit applications between February 6 and April 7, 2017.
If this is your first time applying for an Action for Healthy kids grant, create an account, then affiliate your account with the school(s) for which you are applying by clicking on My Profile, then Add or Manage Schools. Search for and add your school(s) by zip code. When your school is added, click on Grants to proceed with the application.
3. Complete your online application by copying and pasting your responses from the paper application.
NOTE: Application fields have character count limits (not word count). All characters, including spaces and punctuation, are part of the overall character count.
NOTE: Applications must be submitted online via AFHK’s School Portal. Paper applications will not be accepted.
Here are the Important Dates to Remember:
- Monday, February 6, 2017 – School Portal begins accepting applications
- Friday, April 7, 2017 – Applications due
- Monday, May 15, 2017 – Awarded schools notified
For more information and details, head to the Action for Healthy Kids website.